Bring a thimble and I’ll pour my thoughts out – Paul Westerberg, “How Can You Like Him?”
Seriously, it just doesn’t work. Rock and roll isn’t about love. It’s about primal feelings. It’s about lust. It’s about vitrol. It’s about lost love; not current love.
Obviously, almost every rock and roll band has had their share of love songs. They’re called ballads, and some of them are not only very lovely but can be classics. But they’re not rock and roll songs.
Tonight’s show may consist primarily of songs with the word “love” in them, but there are no love songs here. Every track fits the various concerns I listed above. Think of this as the anti-Valentine’s Day show.
I would love it if every listener bought at least one record I played on either of these shows. These great artists deserve to be compensated for their hard work, and every purchase surely helps not only pay their bills but fund their next set of wonderful songs. And if you buy these records directly from the artist or label, please let them know you heard these tunes on The Ledge! Let them know who is giving them promotion! You can find this show at almost any podcast site, including iTunes and Stitcher…or
CLICK HERE TO DOWNLOAD THE SHOW!
1. The Replacements, Valentine (Demo)
2. John Murry, I Refuse to Believe (You Could Love Me)
3. Mike Daly & The Planets, Falling Out Of Love Song
4. CTMF, You Say That You Love Me
5. Vic Ruggiero & Kepi Ghoulie, Sugar Coated LOve
6. X, True Love, Pt. 3
7. Mr. Teenage, Automatic Love
8. Psychotic Youth, Love Is Dead
9. The Choices, Love Is Overrated
10. Sonic Garage, Psycho Lover
11. Amyl and The Sniffers, Don’t Need a Cunt (Like You to Love Me)
12. Pearl Harbour, Have Love Will Travel
13. Lorrainas, Love, Sex, Terror
14. Les Shirley, Fuck It I’m In Love
15. Filthy Friends, Only Lovers Are Broken
16. The Heartbreakers, I Love You (Demo) (1976)
17. The Heartbreakers, I Wanna Be Loved (Demo) (1976)
18. The Replacements, Heartbeat – It’s A Lovebeat [Outtake – Rough Mix]
19. The Replacements, Love You Till Friday (Alternate Mix)
20. The Replacements, Lovelines (Alternate Vocal)
21. The Delmonas, He Tells Me He Loves Me
22. The Ex-Bombers, New Love Is Easy
23. Lucy and The Rats, The Summer I Fell In Love With Sebby
24. The Shebangs, Love In Vain
25. The Sirens, I Didn’t Know I Loved You (Till I Saw You Rock And Roll)
26. Miss Georgia Peach, Do You Know What Love Means?
27. Beebe Gallini, To Love Somebody
28. The Phantoms, Baby Loves Her Rock & Roll
29. The Kowalskis, I Love You Baby But I Hate Your Friends
30. Dany Laj & The Looks, Hold For Love
31. Freeloader, Gimme What’s Left of Your Love
32. Brad Marino, Fell in Love Again
33. Huntingtons, Oh Oh I Love Her So
34. Screeching Weasel, Never Been In Love
35. Fast Eddy, GAME OF LOVE
36. Snotty Angels, Love Is The Law
37. The Cutthroat Brothers and Mike Watt, Love, Drugs, Etc.
38 The Gun Club, The Fire of Love
Subscribe to RSS headline updates from:
Powered by FeedBurner