Also known as the Mobridge City Auditorium, the Scherr-Howe Event Center was built as a WPA project in the 1930s. It is home to 10 early murals from renowned Native American artist Oscar Howe. Howe painted the murals in 1942, starting on April 18 and finishing on June 22. On June 5, Howe was inducted into the US Army at Fort Snelling, but he received a 14-day furlough to finish the project. The murals were restored in 2014. Additionally, the venue is also named after Bill and Jim Scherr, who were Olympic medalists in wrestling. Both brothers are also in the SD Sports Hall of Fame. The building has been on the National Historic Registry since 1986.